Each year on September 19, the Oak Ridge Historic and Preservation Association (ORHPA) present an award to recognize individuals or organizations that do a noteworthy job of maintaining a property important to the Oak Ridge hertiage. Many of the organizations are located in the original building, but only the outward appearance is the same as it was in the early days of Oak Ridge. Of all the organizations chosen throughout the years, only 2 or 3 are still what they were when they first started. ETRC is one of these. The only thing that the buildings known as ETRC have been are warehouses used by the government from 1942 to 1949 and ETRC beginning in 1949 until the present day. As the ORHPA committee walked through ETRC, they were amazingly pleased at their ability to notice the footprints of the warehouses and to learn that the majority of wood that was used to build the main frames of the stalls and tack rooms, were taken from the inside of the building itself. The doorways that allow horses to be walked in and out of the barn and allows the members to push wheelbarrows with the cleanings of stalls to the dumpsters are the doorways used to carry equipment and materials into the warehouse. It is also believed that this particular warehouse received the graphite that allowed the construction of the X-10 Graphite Reactor, the world's first full scale nuclear reactor. The committee members expressed that the ETRC members had done an excellent job keeping their buildings original.
It was a priviledge for ETRC to be selected in 2017 and it was made even better because this was the 75th anniversay year of Oak Ridge. The date that the award is given is also symbolic. September 19, 1942 was the date that General Leslie Grove selected the site that would be the Manhattan Project and later known as Oak Ridge.